Our proprietary big data platform that makes millions of products from our 8,000+ retail partners instantly available through our consumer applications. Our platform enables us to quickly deploy, scale, track and optimize our consumer-facing commerce applications. ZipfCommerce is built on leading edge technologies including Scala, MongoDB and Neo4j.
Zipf’s (pronounced zif's) Law is a mathematical description of many things we see in nature, including seemingly unmathematical things like social relationships. Its more generally known as a Power Law.
Among social connections, Zipf’s Law states that a few networks tend to become very big, while the vast majority remain small. One possible explanation of this is that people tend to gather where there are already many other people. Another is that some networks become more useful as more people join them (the “network effect”).
At ZipfWorks, we create social networks that connect people with other people and with products and services they'll love. Our mission is to grow these networks, adding utility and value to people’s lives through an increasingly rich set of connections.
StyleSpotter makes it easy to comparison shop across hundreds of top fashion stores, all in one place. Available to download in the App Store as well as on the web.
Taproll is a visual search engine for finding talented local photographers. Browse stunning photos in hundreds of cities worldwide, and find the perfect photographer that matches your tastes, project needs and budget.
Knoji is a consumer information resource which offers reviews, comparisons, Q&A forums and information on deals and discounts on thousands of companies and products to over two million consumers each month.
BluePromoCode is a coupon search engine providing quick access to the latest deals, promo codes and discounts on thousands of your favorite retailers. We also provide printable in-store coupons, as well as up-to-date tips and inside guides on saving money.
- Industrial age manufacturers selling products to consumers via online channels.
- Consumers find products through shopping portals.
- Limited information available. Power is on the retailer / manufacturer side.
The New eCommerce
- Democratization between buyers and sellers.
- People find products through social and search channels.
- Shopping apps and sites are interconnected via APIs and embeddable components.
- Overabundance of products, options and information.
- Unprecedented price transparency. Power shifts to consumers.
New Market Problems
- New dynamics drive shopping online - social, search engines, cross-device experiences - a new generation of apps is needed to power this.
- App developers need new ways of monetizing beyond traditional advertising.
- Retailers and manufacturers need to innovate to reach consumers in creative new ways - how to do this?
ZipfWorks - What We Do
- We build socially-connected apps that help people find and consume the products they’ll love.
- We help retailers reach consumers in innovative new ways.
- We help developers build connected commerce applications, enabling them to deploy new services quickly and efficiently and tap into new streams of revenue.
Michael QuocFounder and CEO
Michael is the founder of ZipfWorks and manages the daily operations of the company. Prior to founding ZipfWorks, Michael was the Director of Products at Yahoo!’s media lab where he designed and launched multiple new services in the mobile and social networking areas. Michael holds a BS in Business Administration from the Haas School of Business at UC Berkeley, and has been granted eight patents relating to mobile applications and social networking technology. His favorite hobbies include scuba diving in remote places, being a dad and racing triathlons.
Brian StanbackSenior Software Engineer
Jeff McGeeSoftware Engineer
Jeff handles software development for ZipfWorks' consumer-facing applications and works on key infrastructure pieces for our API platform. Jeff was previously a software developer at Collective Labs where he built web and iOS applications. During his Master's program at Texas A&M, Jeff published a research paper on FriendlyLocation, an app built on Python and Hadoop that analyzes social media tie strength to predict users' geolocations on Twitter. Jeff has an MS in Computer Science and a BS in Computer Engineering from Texas A&M University.
Kevin FangSoftware Engineer
Kevin handles API design, architecture and development for the ZipfCommerce platform. Prior to joining ZipfWorks, Kevin was a software developer at Aerospace Corporation. He recently graduated from UC Berkeley with a BS in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. Kevin enjoys cooking Chinese food and vanquishing hapless foes on the ping pong table.
June HongSenior UX Designer
June handles user experience (UX) design for ZipfWorks' consumer applications. Prior to joining ZipfWorks, June was a Marketing Strategist at MotionPoint Corporation, and held design and strategy positions at Microsoft and Bain & Company. June holds an MBA from the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan and BS in Industrial Design from KAIST. When she's not working, June enjoys watching satirical sitcoms, playing board games and idling.
Daniel KhamsingSoftware Engineer
Daniel handles iOS software development for ZipfWorks' mobile applications. Prior to ZipfWorks, Daniel developed and launched numerous successful apps in the iTunes App Store. He was previously a software engineer at Cisco Systems. Daniel holds a BS in Computer Science from Santa Clara University. Daniel was an avid runner and photographer in a previous life, but now spends his free time enjoying Hitchcock movies, sushi and fried chicken.
Sam OlmstedSoftware Engineer
Sam handles software development for ZipfWorks' big data platform. Prior to joining Zipfworks, Sam held software development positions at the National Security Agency, the Institute for Complex Additive Systems Analysis, and the Los Alamos National Labs. Sam graduated with a degree in Computer Science and Engineering from the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology. While he's not coding, Sam enjoys playing Go and running.
Qing LiUI/Visual Designer
Qing handles the visual + UI/UX design and front-end web software development for ZipfWorks’ websites and applications. Prior to ZipfWorks, Qing was a Senior Designer at EndPlay and a Web/UI Designer at Konami Digital Entertainment. Qing holds a Certificate in Graphic Design and Visual Communication from UC Santa Barbara, and a Bachelor’s degree from Tsinghua University. Aside from being a self-described Apple fan girl, Qing enjoys oil painting, charcoal drawing and consuming Japanese snacks.
Mark MazzaBusiness Operations Manager
Mark handles relationship and channel development for our retail partners, in addition to managing the e-commerce operations of the ZipfCommerce platform. Prior to ZipfWorks, Mark held account management positions at Organic Data and SodaStream. Mark holds a Bachelor’s degree from Rutgers. When not playing basketball or rooting for his favorite Philly sports teams, Mark is a curator and critic of fine Korean BBQ restaurants around Los Angeles.
Kasha CabatoMarketing Coordinator, Fashion
Kasha handles marketing, content production and social media for ZipfWorks' fashion-related apps and services. Prior to ZipfWorks, Kasha handled social media and marketing responsibilities for Insane Jungle and co-founded the custom art handbag company Barbara Eberhart Bags. Kasha holds a BBA in Design and Management from the Parsons School of Design. When she's not working, she enjoys taking her dog Bruno on hikes, baking chocolate goodies, vintage shopping, and working on her tan at the beach.
Eric WhiteOnline Marketing Coordinator
Eric handles market research, blogging and social media for ZipfWorks' social shopping services. Prior to ZipfWorks, Eric worked at CrowdTap, Bizx, and managed his own travel blog, GlassDuffle. Eric graduated from Ohio University with a degree in Journalism with an emphasis in Advertising. Outside of work, Eric is a fan of heavy metal and is a third degree black belt in karate.
Jenny La VanBusiness Operations Coordinator
Jenny handles relationship management with ZipfWorks' retail partners, and assists in managing the business operations of our websites and applications. Prior to ZipfWorks, Jenny held business development positions with Hello Society and Woo Agency. Jenny holds a BS in Business Administration and an AA in Merchandise Marketing from the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising (FIDM). Outside the office, Jenny enjoys camping and hiking, cooking and eating sushi.
Ellen HuangOffice Administrator
Ellen handles administrative, accounting and HR responsibilities for ZipfWorks. Prior to joining ZipfWorks, Ellen was the Operations and Finance Manager at Yo Productions, where she managed the fundraising, production and publishing of a major e-book, the Yoga Resource Practice Manual. Ellen is an accomplished yoga practitioner and instructor. She graduated from UCLA with a degree in Women's Studies.
We partner with over 8,000 retailers, making their products and services available to millions of consumers through our network of applications. We work with retailers across all verticals, and we're actively expanding our network. To learn more about partnering with us, please send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ZipfWorks is a dynamic, fast-paced and creative place to work. As a member of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to put your name down as a co-creator of a range of innovative new apps and services that reach millions of users. We offer full health, dental and vision benefits, subsidized parking and fitness club perks. Our office is located in the lovely Water Garden complex in the heart of Santa Monica. If you are interested in applying for a position with us, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
- HTML / CSS. Experience with CSS3 and HTML5. Familiarity with mobile web design and responsive design.
- Experience with Python is preferred. Must have experience with server-side scripting languages such as PHP, Python, Node or Ruby, as well as MVC frameworks.
- Experience with scraping frameworks such as Scrapy, Nutch, or Beautiful Soup and browser testing tools such as Selenium or PhantomJS preferred.
- Experience with version control (Git, SVN).
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, unstructured, startup environment.
- Degree in Computer Science or related technical field.
Software Developer (iOS / Xcode)
In this role, you’ll be developing iOS client software for our consumer applications, including StyleSpotter and DayFire. You'll work closely with our platform API team, consuming RESTful web services and developing beautiful, polished interfaces for iPhone and iPad.Skills:
- iOS development experience using Objective-C, Cocoa Touch and the iPhone / iPad Apple SDK.
- Experience with Xcode, including development, debugging, profiling, optimizing, and build process.
- Experience with Core Data, Auto Layout, Core Graphics, KVO, GCD, APNS, Unit Testing, open source contribution.
- Knowledge of web service technologies (REST APIs).
- Experience with socket programming, memory management, concurrency, and complexity analysis.
- Excellent OO programming skills and understanding of design patterns.
- Experience with version control systems such as Git and Subversion.
- Able to quickly gain an understanding of our customers, requirements, and technology needs.
- Thrives on cooperation, problem solving, dealing with ambiguity, and working with little direction when necessary.
- Must be creative, awesome and able to learn quickly. Sense of humour strongly preferred :)
- BS in Computer Science.